December 04, 2013 - The Forbes Fund and Duquesne University are located in Pittsburgh; however, it took a cross-country trip to make the connection. The Forbes Fund, a supporting organization of the Pittsburgh Foundation, focuses on strengthening the management and policy-making capacity of the nonprofit sector. I came across the Forbes Fund on the Net Impact site before the […] More »
Global Study Trips
MBA Sustainability students and faculty travel abroad to investigate business and sustainability practices first-hand. The summer trip is part of a required Global Economics course that is co-delivered with partnering universities abroad; the spring trip is optional. In 2013, the summer study trip options are India or China; the spring destinations are Germany and Luxembourg.
In recent years, students have traveled to Asia, South America, Central America, the Nordic countries, Central Europe and Central America to investigate global best practices as well as opportunities and challenges in emerging economies.
- Joint projects with MBA students from Saintgits Institute of Management
- Field studies/live projects with local enterprises related to micro-financing, eco-tourism and safety/availability of the food supply
- Corporate visits to Tata Group, Ernst & Young Consulting, Synthite Industries, Bayer and CNG
- Cultural and educational visits to the Taj Mahal and Ghandhi Memorial
- Sustainable living experience on a houseboat
Brazil & Peru
- Learning activities with graduate students from Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV) - Institute of Business Education; interface with faculty and students at University of São Paulo and Insper
- Organizational visits to Alcoa (São Paulo and Pocos de Caldas), Natura (Sao Paulo), Backus Beer Company (Lima) and Fe y Alegría non-profit (Lima); live case studies with TerpenOil and Braskem
- Eco-tourism field work in the Amazon rainforest
- Cultural excursions to Ilhabela (Brazil), Cusco and Machu Picchu (Peru)
Scandinavia & Iceland
- Live case study at Alcoa Fjardaál, a greenfield aluminum smelter and economic project in Reydarfjordur
- Interface with executives from National Power Company, Nature Conservation and International Monetary Fund in Iceland
- Student designed learning activities at the Lund School of Economics and Management, Sweden
- Participation in EU-funded Baltic Climate Exchange with MBA students from University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- Visits to Westinghouse Nuclear and Ekocentrum/Goteborg 2050 in Sweden
China & Japan
- Team field work with Chinese graduate students at Beijing Jiaotong University
- Experiential learning activities with Rikkyo University in Japan
- Corporate visits to Lenovo, Joy Manufacturing and Reed Smith in China and Toshiba, Panasonic, Mazda and PwC in Japan
- Cultural visits to the Shanghai World Expo 2010, Great Wall and Forbidden City in China
- Visits to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial, Mt. Fuji, Kyoto, Nagano and northern farm lands in Japan
Germany and Luxembourg, Belgium or the Netherlands
- Corporate visits to Bayer, Volkswagen, Umicore and RWE Energy in Germany
- Case studies with students at the University of Cologne, Germany, and other European schools
- Visits to German History Museum in Bonn, the Reichstatdt in Berlin, European Union Parliament in Brussels and Luxembourg, Port of Rotterdam and Naaldwijk Flower Auction in the Netherlands
- Field work on a micro-financed project making thatched roofs from recycled materials for ecotourism industry in the rainforest
- Interface with local business owners and government officials
- Business planning project for harvesting and trading coffee and cacao
World Business Council for Sustainable Development
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a CEO-led, global association of some 200 companies dealing exclusively with business and sustainable development. Sector specific projects include: cement, mobility, tires, chemicals, water, energy efficiency in buildings and forestry.
More Resources »
Nagaraj "Naga" Sivasubramaniam, Ph.D.
Nagaraj "Naga" Sivasubramaniam teaches and conducts research on leadership and strategic management, and the organizational impacts of individual and team leadership, advanced information technologies and innovations.
- Ready to Make a Difference?
- Join a select group of MBA graduates ready to lead a sustainable future.
Accepting applications for Fall 2014.
Learn more about applying
or contact us.
- Global Study Trips
- Spring 2013 – Germany & Luxembourg
Summer 2013 – India
Learn more about our international experiences »